34" High x 24" Wide Poster
In 1841, Congress created the Lake Survey within the U.S. Army Topographical Engineers, which later became part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Survey, based in Detroit, was charged with conducting a hydrographical survey of the Northern and Northwestern Lakes.
This 1876 navigational map extends from the southern tip of Lake Michigan to just north of Two Rivers, Wisconsin and Manistee, Michigan.
The map includes longitude & latitude lines and rivers on the Wisconsin and Michigan shorelines.
To view this map online, please visit:
The original map can be viewed at the American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Special thanks to the AGS Library for reproduction permission.